A Writing Index and Landing Page
Partway through 2011 I started semi-regularly writing short snippets of fiction, over time this has build up to where it can take a while to hunt down something I wrote previously. That calls for... An Index and Landing Page! I am putting this together initially as a single page. The remainder will likely soon go under a cut. Post-Dating to the end of 2013 to keep it at the top of the recent posts page. Indexes first, followed by a setting list.30-Day Writing Projects:
Prompt Calls:( Further links under this cutCollapse )(This is a crossposting | replies at the original post on dreamwidth | Comment at dreamwidth | You can comment on DW posts even if you don't have an account there Using OpenID!)
- Using Ravenswept's 30 Day list: LJ Link, (No DW copy currently)
- Using Aldersprig and KC_Obrien's 30 Day list: LJ Link, DW Link
Today in worldbuilding Fluff gets to ponder immigration law. Given this takes place in a country on a portal reached techofantasy world I could make up just about any answer. But, given:
*character arrived in country while high school aged because father's employer asked them to transfer there
*neither parent nor child became citizens of the other country
*its been a few years since the move and the son just started attending a local college
What happens if the father gets upset enough to disown the son and kicks him out of the house?
So I get to figure out whether the son was on the father's visa (some Googling suggests that's how it would work for people heading to the US) or required to have a separate one, what the country's view is on the disowning&kicking out, and what the implications of that are.
Whee. Worldbuilding is fun. Especially when you don't have to worry about someone pointing to a source you never saw that shows you got something wrong.(This is a crossposting | replies at the original post on dreamwidth | Comment at dreamwidth | You can comment on DW posts even if you don't have an account there Using OpenID!)
Title: Just Perrfect
Fandom/'verse: Magic School Doofuses, my current title for the stories of Jamsa and Nicolai at a school of magic.
Summary: Jamsa asks a favor of his roommate Nicolai
Note: Follows after Quick and Dirty
and Piece of Cake
. Title spelling is intentional
Warnings: Violation of consent/trust. Jamsa's a jerk (then again Nicolai as well) (I think they might well both be Slytherins if at Hogwarts)
"Why should I? Every time I have helped you this semester you've criticized me. Not one word of thanks. I don't know why you are even asking me."
"No one else would do it."( Click here to continue reading...Collapse )(This is a crossposting | replies at the original post on dreamwidth | Comment at dreamwidth | You can comment on DW posts even if you don't have an account there Using OpenID!)
Title: Tonya (Tries To) Hide
Fandom/'verse: Superhero setting
Rating/Warnings: Language of the four letter sort, recovering mind control victim, rudeness
Summary/Notes: Set after Ice Cream
and before Trying to Surrender (Which should be posted here soon)
If anyone ever suggests you hide under a truck traveling down a rough dirt road? Don't. Really, trust me and just don't. I mean sure, it sounds like a good idea if you're a total idiot. I'm not and it didn't. But you know that old rule? If it's stupid and it works? Well, it worked. I even got away from my latest pursuers. For values of Got Away that only care about a lack of handcuffs and pointed guns. And not getting squished by the tires. Not values of Got Away that care about pain and agony and ruining the back of your favorite and only jacket. But still I got away.( Click here to continue readingCollapse )(This is a crossposting | replies at the original post on dreamwidth | Comment at dreamwidth | You can comment on DW posts even if you don't have an account there Using OpenID!)
Title: Knotted Handkerchief
Fandom/'verse: No particular setting, modern day-ish.
Summary/Note: I hadn't heard of knotting handkerchiefs as a memory aid before, but reading about it made this not-the-same-but-same-words idea pop into my mind.
Prompter: Rix Scaedu
Triggers/Warnings: None that I see
It sat on her dresser for as long as I could remember. A bundle of cloth, the corners pulled together and knotted. Whenever any of us grandkids would ask what it was the answer was always the same. "Memories." We learned as well that you didn't want to be caught touching or even looking like you were going to touch the memories
. Of course we all did. We knew there was paper inside. I probably wasn't the only one who tried undoing the knot but it never would budge even slightly. When grandmother's will was read the one thing I'm sure everyone was curious about was the fate of the memories. Who would get the memories, would they be be given on their own or as with something else, or would Grandmother ask that they pass with her.( click here to continue reading...Collapse )(This is a crossposting | replies at the original post on dreamwidth | Comment at dreamwidth | You can comment on DW posts even if you don't have an account there Using OpenID!)
(Crossposting from my dA journal since Dreamwidth allows for anyone to reply)
One of the things I'd like to do this year is commission a picture of one of my characters. Probably either Tonya or Nyalla, and while I have text descriptions for both the place I always get stuck is visual references. Anyone have suggestions for more than just plugging keywords into Google Images? Or any magic sauce for doing that better? I'll probably grab pencil and paper try sketching out stuff, I could use the practice anyway, but yeah my skills haven't improved there since the last time I posted a drawing.
Likewise if there are publicly posted character profiles that you think are good models to follow, I'd be interested in those too.(This is a crossposting | replies at the original post on dreamwidth | Comment at dreamwidth | You can comment on DW posts even if you don't have an account there Using OpenID!)
What's that? Oh, hey, a new year has started!
Welcome to 2017
(This is a crossposting | replies at the original post on dreamwidth | Comment at dreamwidth | You can comment on DW posts even if you don't have an account there Using OpenID!)
- Looking back at 2016
- Very few posts. I don't even have to click on a "Previous 20 entries" link to see posts from 2015.
- I never even entered anything into my 2016 word count tracking spreadsheet. Oops. I did post a few short pieces so the word count is over zero.
- Oh look, among everything else about 2016 it included my first car accident. Which thankfully included my insurance agreeing the other person was 100% at fault (speeding, ran a red light, ran on foot from the scene almost instantly; a good list of things not to do and also a list of things the other person did).
- I continued the guitar lessons. I'm by no means ready to go out on stage or busk on a street corner but I am enjoying the lessons quite a bit.
- Looking ahead at 2017
- Definitely continuing with guitar. In fact I'm hoping to get to the point I'm comfortable recording something and posting it somewhere.
- Towards this I've made a list of songs I'm going to concentrate on this year. They won't be all I work on but I am going to keep them in the forefront.
- More deliberate practice. Or in other words looking for specific things to practice. For my list of songs there are particular sections I'm working on. I'm also working on improving the use of basic strumming patterns with my right hand and switching more smoothly between chords with my left hand.
- Writing, so many things I want to write, in 2017 I'm going to knock the cobwebs off my writing and get back to it.
- I'm pondering some sort of serial flash thing. Something which I aim at regularly adding small amounts to even if just as pump-priming and only for myself.
- Complete a row or column on one of my writing bingo cards :)
- I should consider doing some more "X Days of _" those can be both challenging and fun.
- Languages: I want to do more learning languages and playing with them this year.
- I've completed the Esperanto skill tree on DuoLingo this week. This by no means fluent now but it's further than I've made it in previous attempts at a language. I intend to spend January reviewing, reading, and working on that some more and then starting back up on Spanish or German come February.
- Lose more weight. This is going to be a goal for a while and probably into 2018 but I'm going to make an effort to have progress on this goal again.
- More physical activity! Calories burned > Calories consumed = weight loss
- Eat better! I'm a picky eater. A very picky eater. That said I need to get more fiber into my diet, more vegetable matter in general.
- Conventions: This is a big maybe for 2017. If I do go to any they'll be local and most likely without getting a hotel room since that would put a strain on my efforts towards the next bit below
- Paying down debts: I've zeroed out one and might be able to zero out another by my birthday (hey kid version of me, look at how exciting being an adult is, paying off a debt as a present). I'm not feeling all that excited for the economy which makes getting rid of debt rather a good idea. I want to be in the position to have everything (other than the new*er* car, thank you again person who hit my car) paid off by the end of 2018. The nice thing is you can snowball this. When you get a debt paid off the money in the monthly budget that would have gone towards it can be shifted to increasing the payments on another.
- But as mentioned on the conventions line above, this also requires keeping an eye on spending. Conventions can be expensive if you aren't careful.
- Giving: That said, when I get the next debt paid off I think I'm going to increase my Patreon budget. Either increase a few of my existing pledges or add a few more.
- Pondering picking up pencil again and doing some more sketching.
- Likewise I want to fire up Inkscape again and do more vector stuff.
- One thought is sketching ideas for possible pins and then taking the ideas I like best to Inkscape for cleaning up and coloring.
- Also looking at the beading supplies I have and pondering...
- I want to get back into worldbuilding. Worldbuilding is fun.
- I also wanting to get back into RPing. Either in person or more likely online.
Fandom/'verse: Random science fiction setting, follows Coup Warning
Summary: Lind's coup hasn't gone totally unnoticed by the outside world
's Thimbleful Thursday Prompt for 16 January 2015; Dark Horse
Triggers/Warnings: None that I see
Note: Trying something new, going to see if I can link all five of January's prompts
Words: 355 (of a target 270-330 words, so a tad over goal)
Gavreel woke up before the sun as every morning. He saw the flashing light on his communications console and rejected the call before fixing a breakfast of filtered water and reheated vegetable stew. The farm had its own needs and he didn't have time to waste on his old life.
After a morning breaking ground for a new patch of beans he came inside for more water and fried oat cakes. A few key presses got rid of the blinking light once more.( Click here to continue reading...Collapse )(This is a crossposting | replies at the original post on dreamwidth | Comment at dreamwidth | You can comment on DW posts even if you don't have an account there Using OpenID!)